Sunday, February 07, 2016

A-mazing Valentines


 

 

In honor of Valentine's day, I'm digging back to last year's cards to kick things off. L was heavily into mazes. He plowed through every book we gave him and then he asked me to make new ones by hand. Usually while we are out to eat. So when I saw this idea floating around the internet, I knew we found our project.

I created a heart shape in Illustrator and then repeated the shape inside it to build the maze channels. I placed it four up on a letter sized page each with a different path. To do so, I began cutting out openings and creating blocks with additional lines unique to each of the four.

I selected different shades of red, pink and orange paper to form the backdrop of the cards and to cut down on ink. Once all the cards were cut to quarter of a page, two slits were made with an X-acto to hold the pencils to the cards. I found some cool two-sided pencils at a local art shop, which I thought made it even more fun. 

These were fairly quick to make. The most time consuming part was creating the artwork for the cards at only about 1.5hr. Then copying and cutting only took another 1hr with the little guy's help. He was so excited to craft his Valentine's cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment